Saturday, July 31, 2010

As a parent, what sort of qualities do you look for when you first meet a potential babysitter?

What kinds of questions would you like the sitter to ask you. What would you ask the sitter. What sort of things would put you at ease in trusting this person?As a parent, what sort of qualities do you look for when you first meet a potential babysitter?
* Energy level (Is she going to sit on the couch all night watching tv? Or will she jump right in and get the kids interested in a game or something)


* Confidence (You just know when someone knows what they're doing and when someone is nervous about the job)


* Demeanor around my kids (Does she talk to them nicely? Seem interested in what they're doing at the moment?)


* Punctuality - It's always a red flag if someone shows up late





BONUS - If she brings any kind of game or craft for the kids to do.





We rarely use babysitters, but when we do we pay very well if they're good.As a parent, what sort of qualities do you look for when you first meet a potential babysitter?
If at all possible, try to get a babysitter that your friends or family have used. That is the best indicator. When I was young, my parents would only ask a babysitter back if we liked her, so if you know someone who uses one particular babysitter frequently that's a good sign.


Also, just in my opinion, male babysitters are much more likely to be active and playful and less likely to sit on the couch watching tv all night.


When I babysat, I always asked if the kids required any medication, what their bedtime was, anything they weren't allowed to do, etc. If you want to see if you have a responsible babysitter, don't offer this information up front and see if they ask. I would NEVER trust a babysitter who was content to let you leave without this info.


Finally, ask what they charge per hour and go with it. I hated when parents would pay me at the end of the night and say, ';Is that ok?'; Even if it wasn't ok, I wouldn't say anything because I was young and it was too awkward.
I don't have a kid but I am a baby sitter....





I am always asked.....





How many kids do I usually watch at a time


How many kids do I watch all together


How much do I charge per hour





Then I come a day early and let them see how the kids like me and how I like the kids...





A day early...

No comments:

Post a Comment