Saturday, July 31, 2010

Teachers: how does parent behavior/involvement affect what opportunities are offered to their child in school?

How can you help yourself being extra kind to susie or helping johnny just a little bit more if their parent is helping so much, and you really just like her a lot?





On the flip side, what if there's a parent you just can't stand, how does that affect the student?





Teachers: how does parent behavior/involvement affect what opportunities are offered to their child in school?
Because of parent involvement in the classroom - managing my independent programs, I can differentiate instruction much more. because I have a set of parents that volunteer on a normal basis, I have more time with kids and they can domore of the correcting and busy work. I seriously couldn't function without them - they teach art, manage my field trips, organize my volunteers, etc...I just get to teach.





Now if a parent is nice and approaches me with a problem in a, ';how can you help me, or how can we solve this together'; then it is much easier to go out of your way for them. I form acloser relationship with the parent if they are appreciative of my work and are supportive.





The parents that are rude and bully me are a different story. I will do my job but not go out of my way. Their emails are the ones that I answer last. I usually more curt with them and I document document ddocument any interaction I have with them. I will not treat their child poorly because that is unethical but I also will not bend over backwards to make sure the parents get what they want. Whether I want to admit it or not, I try to steer clear of those kids. Those are the ones that I don't make an extra effort to build a relationship with sadly.Teachers: how does parent behavior/involvement affect what opportunities are offered to their child in school?
Students are treated equally. If a student is in need of a service, they will get the service. The only way the student will not get the service is if the parent doesn't consent to the service.





One example of this is Special Education service. Few parents don't like to label their child as SPED, so even though it is best for their child to receive the service, they refuse to allow their child to receive SPED services.





Other times there are those parents you just can't stand. The parents are dealt with separately from the student and it doesn't affect what the school does for the student.





Of course volunteering at the school doesn't give you special treatment, but people tend to want to help out those that help others.
As far as I know, I have been teaching for 13 years, that you should be impartial, at least to the best of your abilities and you should never give special treatment to a specific student and in contrast never judge or sell short a child because of his/her parents short comings. It is just not professional, human nature in the real world...but students are there to be lifted and inspired.
I have taught kindergarten and first grade for seven years. How I feel about a parent (whether positive or negative) has no bearing on how I treat a child in a classroom. Children are not replicated extensions of their parents. They are their own persons and I treat them as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment