Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How long does it take to get over the death of a parent?

Its been over 6 months and I still can't sleep at night.How long does it take to get over the death of a parent?
iM sorry about your loss. iM still very thankful that i still have both my parents, and iM not sure how long it takes. iT must be very hard, but just always know that their in a better place and are looking down on you. they would want you to lead a happy and healthy life and they will be waiting for your day to go home with them.


May my prayers and thoughts be with you. God Bless!!How long does it take to get over the death of a parent?
Where I can't tell you how long it takes to get over a death of a parent, I can tell you about something similar. My best friend, my brother died a year and a few months ago. Sadly, I wish I could tell you that it gets better and you learn to deal with it, but truth is, you don't ever really get over it. You have to be strong and think of the good times you had together, and if I have a rough day thinking about him, pictures always help me. Or even thinking about things we used to do together help me as well. Yes, it makes me sad for the time being, but afterward there is a little relief off my shoulders. Best wishes and I hope you can find something to help you remember your parent in the best way possible. Just keep thinking about the good times and not of the death. :)
My daughter's dad was murdered almost 8 years ago, and she still has times when she cries about it. She's never talked about it with me, but I know she's still affected by it.


How long one grieves the loss of a parent depends on the relationship the person had with the parent. But even people who had negative relations with their parents will grieve the loss.


Grief has no timetable, especially when it's a parent.
It takes as long of time as you still love the person. loosing a parent is hard. i don't have experience but my friend does and she has had a very hard time with it. if you love the person, it can be challenging to forget them. but if you love them, they will stay with you in your heart. that sounds really corny but it is hard to forget someone. good luck and i am sorry to hear about your parent. good luck.
My dad has been gone for nearly 10 years. I don't think I'm ';over it'; any more than I was the day of his funeral.





I can tell you though, that I have accepted a new normal.





I still miss him. I still wish he was around. Every day. But my life has gone on without him and it's something that takes a long time to figure out.





One of my best friends lost her mom about a year ago. She just said to me the other day, ';There are still days when I just don't even think I can breathe. Some days when I just don't even want to get out of bed. But they are getting further and further apart.';





It's finding that new normal, and learning how to carry on.





But getting over it? No one gets over it.





Try seeking some professional help. Between medication and therapy, you should be able to sleep. Sleep is the best source of self-healing. And you need to find that.





I am sorry for your loss and I am sorry for the lack of peace you feel. I encourage you to take steps so that you can get to that point. Best wishes.
I'm sorry you are struggling.





I lost my mom eight years ago. I'll never ';get over it'; but i've come to acceptance, and moved on with my life. I still think of her almost every day... of course! Moms are a huge part of our lives.





Grieving is a process, and we really need to ALLOW ourselves to grieve. Some people refused to do it, and it is not healthy





There are many phases of grieving -- anger, denial, bargaining and acceptance are a few.





There are also lots of websites and internet forums out there which deal with grief, and at which places you might just meet some people who are having similar difficulties.





Many communities have grief support groups, as well. (call your local hospital or mental health clinic to ask)





Let yourself grieve, and possibly meet others who understand





Here are a few websites for you.





http://www.thelightbeyond.com/death_of_a鈥?/a>





http://dying.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Deal_鈥?/a>





http://documents.cancer.org/6036.00/





http://www.funeralplan.com/griefsupport/鈥?/a>





You did not say whether you are a teen, but i have found a website for teens and a death and grief section... http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/emo鈥?/a>
There's no exact answer. It depends on the relationship.





You obviously had a close relationship with your parent. I don't know what I can say to make you feel better, but I really hope you DO feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment