Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it normal for a child of divorced parents to not like the parent who moves out?

My parents have recently divorced and I no longer feel as much gratitude towards my father. (The one who moved out). Is it normal for this to happen?Is it normal for a child of divorced parents to not like the parent who moves out?
Yes, it is normal. Just know that when adults divorce, they are really leaving each other, not the children.





Your dad loves you as much as he always did. It is not about you.Is it normal for a child of divorced parents to not like the parent who moves out?
I feel it is normal, because you are feeling hurt by their separation. However I don't think that it is fair to him, because I am assuming that this was a mutual decision by both parents.





You must remember that just because they are divorced, that does not mean that he or she loves you any less. Honestly if you keep disliking are end up hating him, then you are doing nothing but hurting yourself in the end. I am sure that he still wants to be there for you, but as with most fathers, they will not force themselves upon you, they will give you time to realize things on your own. It is obvious that you are hurt over this and it will take some time to heal, but he can help you to understand, as well as your mother.
Yes it is normal, but as you grow older and mature you will come to the realisation that it was better for them to split up, especially if the love had gone out of their relationship. Plus wouldn't you rather have two happy parents, than have two that are miserable and unhappy?. Later on in life it will be up to you if you choose to forgive your dad or not and you will probably will when you begin to understand life.


Cheers.
Yes, it is typical for the attachment to be stronger with the one you live with.





Please, let me tell you, just because your dad moved out (or maybe mom threw him out) this does NOT affect the love he has for you. I know if KILLS him to live away from you...not being a part of your life or being able to have access to you 24/7....not only does he have to mend from the hurt of divorce but his kids are away...please walk in his shoes...it is so hard to watch...





my husband has 2 children that he allowed the mom to move 700 miles away, he hardly ever gets to see them, due to the distance, they assume that when they were younger he didn't want to have anything to do with them because the parenting plan said that he could only have them 2 weeks in the summer and at Christmas, but when we got married, he had enough money to take her back to court for more visitation...of course they think it was all my idea when I just loaned him the money....now they don't even want to see him





Not only did he not get to see his kids grow up, he now has to deal with issues from 700 miles away and when they say they don't want to see him it just rips his heart up because he never did anything but want to be with his kids...he would have been there for them anytime they wanted but he couldn't and now they don't even want him at all. It's so sad to watch this.





And of course since they lived with mom and hardly know their dad, they prefer her over him, which no child should have to do.
Yes I felt angry with my dad who moved out. But 15 yrs later (I'm 25 now) I realize how miserable my mom was making him. When you're young it's hard to see both sides of divorce. I guarantee that both your parents are to blame for splitting up. Sometimes one parent pushes the other away emotionally, and no one sees that side and blames the one that leaves or gets fed up. My dad and I are closer now than my mom and I bc as I got older I realized how negative and depressed she is. Things will get better with time!
A young child would have the parent that stays to try to turn the child against the other. That is wrong. Depending how old you are, what makes you think that way about your daddy?


Unless you know the reason they have split (and hopefully they have the same reason) if you don't know you need to have both at the same time to tell you.
Believe it or not most children blame the mother regardless of which one makes the decision to leave. Your feelings about your dad are very reasonable. You see his decision as one that has destroyed your family. Just remember the break was between your mom and dad not them and you. For whatever reason he left. It may have been selfish it may not have. You may not know the whole story. Try and be respectful. But allow yourself the right to feel your feelings.
Kids do this often, personally I feel it's very childish behavior. You are only making your father feel worse than he already does, think about that.
yeah. normal. You'll get over it in a few years. You will realize that your parents are human beings too.
Yes! my dad left when i was young and always tried to be the ';best friend dad'; and I always thought he was a prick for trying because he was the one who left.
i think its normal, but not always reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment