Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the most ANNOYING advice you get from others as a parent?

We were at the beach last month for vacation. It was breezy, but the temperature was about 72 degrees. My 7 month old was in her stroller in a sundress and barefoot. One of the hotel's maids was puffing on her cigarette in the elevator (a major violation) and she had the nerve to ask me where my baby's socks were...What is the most ANNOYING advice you get from others as a parent?
I was almost ';raising'; a few children in the neighbourhood(as the oldest and most responsible girl there).I was 10-12 and during that time four-five children were 5-6 years younger than me and I was responsible for them for the few hours their parents left them with me.I hated when someone messed the way I 'disciplined' them.I always used understanding, talking, simpathizing and never yelled or criticized them...but some older people disagreed and I hated that.However,these children turned into responsible,loving and caring pre-teens and I'm proud of the way I treated them,not like some parents treat their children - spanking, yelling, criticizing, punishments....etc.What is the most ANNOYING advice you get from others as a parent?
I know exactly what you mean. First of all I hate wearing socks- I'm a flip-flop kind of person. My dad never put socks on me, and I just happen to do the same with my kids. It's more comfortable! Now in the winter, during the chilly times, yeah I do bend a little...I guess they don't know that kids don't get sick from lack of socks!!!


Well the NO socks/ NO hat (during early infant times) thing really bugged me!
Lol, I hate it when others told my how to dress my kids too, I also hate it when other told me how or how not to discipline my kids
When my second child-daughter- was a baby, when I was in the store buying diapers I got a few women a couple times telling me the best brand of diapers to buy. Even though I had my 3 yr old son with me at the time they still felt the need to give me diaper advice. like I haven't purchased diapers before?! I hated that.
Anytime somebody suggests bundling him up warmer because he'll catch a cold. Sorry, but colds come from viruses, not cold weather.
';I dunno... the same place as your manners?'; Yeah, welcome to parenting. It starts when you're pregnant. It's like an open invitation for the world to tell you what they know. And some of it's well-meaning, and some of it's plain rude. I've had women ask me if I've put sunscreen on my children when we are out at the park or playground, and what SPF it was. I've had old ladies tell me to take my kids out of the pool because it hasn't been an hour since they ate their lunch, and they could DROWN. My pat answer is always ';Thanks so much for your caring, but I've got it under control';.
Two words





Ignore her.
Yeah, that's obnoxious!





I have a pincher and my son was a biter. It was really hard to get him to stop biting and it's been really hard to get her to stop pinching. And (okay, maybe this isn't exactly advice) it's so annoying when people tell me ';yeah, your kid is a rotten little pincher';. Thanks. I wasn't previously aware.
well im not a parent yet.. im only 14


but just to tell you,, that does sound annoying


she shouldnt be concerned about your babys socks


she should be more concerned about losing her job, or getting lung cancer





i respect you for being a parent espicially when your having to deal with stupid people obsessing over your childrens safety, my mom said it seems easy to raise a child when your younger, but when you get older you see how hard it actually is


i cant wait to have children though lol


then i can answer your real question
Oh, yeah, I hate that ...ahhuh...that's when you grit your teeth, and say it's not worth it! Or you say, where is your ashtray at? I don't have to many people bother me, sometimes someone will say oh that's a nasty little scratch, or bruise they got..and you scramble for an answer explaining how much they rough house. Or when my daughter constantly kicks off her shoes, and we go into the store, and I'm so not going to put them on AGAIIINNN! Oh, where are her shoes? IN THE CAR WHERE SHE THREW THEM!!!!!!LOL
A half way drunk guy had the nerve to tell my husband and I that allowing our 3 mo. old daughter to have a binky was terrible and that we were bad parents for it and how he didn't agree with it . He went on and on...and on...and on...and on. I ended up having to tell him to **** off, when I normally don't get that angry.


And I hate when people tell us we need to have another baby just so our daughter will have a companion. To me, that is not a good reason to have a baby. You as the parent kind of need to want it, don't you?????


People are always so good at telling parents what they ought to do.
That child care is bad and you need to stay at home with them until they are teenagers, that children need to eat all their food, that babies NEED to be breast fed and that you are a bad mother if you cant do it,
Kinda made ya wanna come back with some comment about her smoking in the elevator, huh?! Just wait til potty training time. Everybody and their mother will be giving you advice on that!
I'm only 13 but I can imagine being flipped out at tha lady. My mom hates in when ever people criticize the way she raises me and my sisters, or if they tell her how to raise us. I don't know about my dad.
People tell me I should let my daughter get tattoos if she wants them.
well not only can smoking kill her, but she was smoking in enclosed space(first offense) with another person (second offense) and their infant (third offense). that is just oozing with all sorts of accusations...but besides the whole were are your kids shoes bit iwould have to say that the most annoying advice would have to be when someone comes up to me and tells me that the kids should really not be eating the gummie worms and that can lead to obesity and lateron diabetes. they dont eat that stuff everyday and the one time they do some woman preaches to me about what they should eat. going barefoot and eating some candy now and then will not killyou, just don't make a habit of the candy. ya know?
Not only a major violation but she's smoking around your baby, That is a major health issue more so than the socks. Your the mommy and if you feel that your baby was fine then thats your call but you'll have the comfort of knowing that obviously the maid holds zero credibility and you shouldnt worry about it. Only you can decide what is best for your child and she should BUTT out ....pun intended!
I would have went to the front desk. Demanded to speak with a manager and filed a formal complaint.








And if you did not. My advise is to send them a letter anyway regarding the incident.
Don't worry, they will grow out of it. Sheesh, that's pathetic isn't it?
Omg, My dad and my boyfriends mom are the worst!! My baby is 3 1/2 wks old





1. It was 80 degrees out and so I opened up the patio door so we wouldnt sweat to death, you wouldve thought it was WW2.





2. ';Are you feeding her enough?'; or ';Maybe shes hungry';, This baby is growing like weeds





3. ';Dont put shoes on her, let her feet breath';, I have only put shoes on her 3 times and get a fight everytime.





I know Im a first time mom and If I have questions I ALWAYS ask but please dont treat me like and idiot.
You should of asked her why she can't read and why she is smoking in an elevator. Tell her your on vacation at a beach. Why would she need shoes if you were at the beach. The nerve of some people..... I guess thats why shes a maid at a hotel.
Some fat slob telling me how and what to feed my baby
Honestly none, I realize that I am not the smartest person in the world and although not every person may give me advice that I intend on taking it is advice I intend to listen to. How else are you ever going to learn and grow as a parent if you don't listen to those who have already done it. The absolute worst parent are those who think because they gave birth they all of a sudden know it all, those are the parents who have the worst children and make the worst parents and the truth there for everone to see. ( Now the elevator one's got me, why was she smoking in an elevator anyway)
The most annoying advice I get is from my husband's grandmother. I know she means well, but if she has it 80 degrees in the house, why should my children have to be bundled up because its cold OUTSIDE? And, lets just say that my boys (7 %26amp; 5) are pretty rough and tumble kids. I horse around with them and stuff. My hubby's gramdma told me that if I hang them upside down by their feet (which they LOVE) I'll make their brains come lose or cause brain damage! I mean really.
Where are her socks? I hate that question the most. Or when they pretend they are talking to the baby and say '; oh are your feet cold?'; I wish my baby could talk and say '; no there not and who the heck are you?'; I want to make a onesie that says ';YOU CAN'T CATCH A COLD THROUGH YOUR FEET , DUH!'; I also hate where they think they are giving advice but they are really bragging. '; Well you know I just milk in the sippy cup so many times and they didn't want there bottle anymore, you should try it.'; Thanks but my ten month old likes his bottle and you should try minding your own business!
that's none of her business..you should of told her..she shouldnt be smoking in the elevator anyways! I would of said where's ur nicotine patch? well my bad advice comes from other mother's as well..especially the new ones.. they think they know everything. Like my sister in law just had a baby boy and my little one is already two and she tried telling me how not to give him milk anymore, and no binky and how to put him to sleep..and how to bathe him. that really makes my nerve tick!!
Only one. So many that I just could not begin to pick one.





Mosatly those that never had any children tell us how and when about everything and what ever we do it is wrong.





Grand parents are also terrible and constantly undermine what the parents teach.





After all everyone is an expert when it comes to other children but never seem to know how to handle their own.
my ';mother in law'; told me to lock my daughter who is 4 in her dark bedroom to teach her a lesson about staying in her bed !!!!! wtf ???? no way was I going to do anything as stupid as that
The worst things is about potty training. I have four children. My third child is as hard headed as they come. She REFUSES to potty train, she's four. She has the world's largest bladder. I will put her in underwear, take her to the potty, she will sit on the potty, won't go, gets up, waits until I turn my back to answer the phone or put her sister down, and then goes and gets a pull-up and pees/poops in it. At least I know she understands about controlling it but it really makes me made that she won't go on the potty. Anyway, you name it, we have tried it.





So, it really makes me angry when people, especially people without kids, comment on the fact that she isn't potty trained. Have you tried this? Oh, Dr. Phil says this? I did this and it worked great!





Good for you! Any day you want to come to my house and try to train her, you are more than welcome!!
I hate it when my mom butts in to my rearing my kids as if I cant make a decision on my own...I am 36 years old....if I want my 5 year old daughter to wear ';spaghetti straps'; she will wear them...she want be called a ';****'; or a ';whore'; if she wears them...errrrrggggg......and if I hear ';If I were you.....'; one more time...I will scream....
you should have asked her where her sense was...smoking in the elevator

No comments:

Post a Comment